Get ready Toronto. This Picasso work has just been removed from its crate.
The Picasso exhibition is coming to the Art Gallery of Ontario on May 1, 2012. The show will include the following paintings.
- The Death of Casagemas, one of the first works he created in Paris in 1901;
- Autoportrait (Self-Portrait), the iconic 1906 self-portrait;
- the 1904 Blue-period masterpiece Celestina (The Woman with One-Eye), and The Two Brothers, a 1906 work from his Rose period;
- landmark African-inspired artwork that led to the advent of Cubism, including studies for the 1907
- masterpiece Les Demoiselles d’Avignon and Three Figures Beneath a Tree, 1907-08;
- examples of his genre-defining Analytic and Synthetic Cubism artworks, including the 1909-10 Sacré Coeur, 1911’s seminal Man with a Guitar and 1915’s Violin;
- Two Women Running on the Beach (The Race), a 1922 masterwork from his Neoclassical period, and 1925’s The Kiss, from his Surrealist period;
- a series of sculptures created during the Second World War, including 1942’s Bull’s Head, and two
- bronzes, 1943’s Death’s Head and 1950’s The Goat;
- The Bathers, the 1956 life-sized, six-piece figurative sculpture series created during a summer in Cannes; and
- The Matador, the famous self-portrait painted in 1970, three years before his death