Thursday, October 1, 2009

Steven Snider, Ontario Artist

I first met Stephen after responding to an advertisement to join his weekly art group in Warkworth, Ontario. Stephen took me into his sketching class, even though my focus was watercolour painting.

Stephen's classes were lively, communicative affairs and loaded with good teaching and lots of laughter.

Stephen knew how to challenge and push buttons. He walked into a zone where most teachers dared not tred, when he took my brush in his hand and demonstrated over top of my artwork.


I was frustrated beyond imagination. I tossed my work down on a sofa, in frustration at my own lack of progress.


On another occasion he whipped a small brush out of my hand and admonished me for its use. But, through it all, Stephen placed my development foremost, and he provided valuable lessons on values of light. Stephen later told me that he had not had any painting student who had such enormous drive to succeed. He has been a supportive friend in art ever since and is generous with advice, encouragment and supportive critiques.

Stephen is a graduate of the Ontario College of Art, in Toronto and he has lived until recently in the picturesque village of Warkworth. His artwork has been used by advertising agencies, businesses, magazines, and the Dept. of National Defence and the War Museum. No surprise, for Stephen had his early sights set on becoming a pilot.

Look for some of Stephen's future works on the blog.

Please check his website: www.stephensnider.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting your comments.
ATTENTION SPAMMERS: Comments with links to other websites, will not be accepted.

A message for anonymous posters: Comments will be accepted provided they are thoughtful and articulate.

Reciprocating comments between posters will not be accepted. Sorry - I have no intention of giving readers the opportunity to engage in flame wars. It won't happen.

Fredericks-Artworks Blog, copying policy


The Canadian Copyright act, section 29 reports on fairdealing, that it is not an infringement to reproduce someone else's work for research, study, criticism, review or to report. Which pretty much sums up what this site is about. All content sources, be they artists, printed references, and website url's are respectfully identified on this site. http://http//www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/stat/rsc-1985-c-c-42/latest/rsc-1985-c-c-42.html

Mission Statement
A Portrait of the Visual Arts in Canada, is intended to celebrate the richness of Canada's visual arts, and to promote the arts in Canada.

Statement of Intent
I make every effort to credit the sources of information used in this blog and to obtain the permission and cooperation of all the works presented by living artists. I try, as much as possible to use works from public sources eg. national and provincial collections, of deceased artists. If for any reason, any artist disapproves of anything written about them or their work the artist is encouraged to request withdrawal of the content.