Friday, October 8, 2010

Masks by Mo Bayliss



It seems like I have always had an interest in archaeology. So, when Mo Bayliss's art entered my sphere I found myself immediately drawn to her work.

These masks are painted with colours which Mo grinds into powder from stone. She then mixes it with water and paints the resulting paste onto art paper. Mo finishes it off by her framing her finished work and putting it behind glass.



That being said, the above mask stares mutely out at the world. It isn't so much as a representation of a living person, as it is statement of life itself. Its hard, for instance to see any indication of personality in it. I remember being taken aback by this when I saw the moon mask in a museum in Victoria, many years ago. You have to get beyond your search for individuality. You are looking at a statement of human life itself.

The mask you see above speaks mightily for Mo's artistic skills. The rich colouring, the varied textures and the dramatic slash of black which crosses its eyes make it an exciting work. And to top it off,Mo highlights her work with surrounding radiating lines. If times were reversed, I am sure that Mo would have been a much demanded native artist, in times long past.

1 comment:

  1. I have had the opportunity to meet and work with Mo Bayliss. She is as dynamic a person as her artwork. As an archaeologist, I was drawn to the realism of her clay pots. (I own one of her Huron Incised). When I asked her at an art show how she got them so realistic and she pulled out a flat stone then picked up another ground and then added water and painted a beautiful teal stroke which glittered in the gallery light. Wow! She then told me she held workshops and I could learn. I was sold! As far as I know she is the only artist in the world revitalizing rock/mineral painting. She has developed a unique skill and openly shares with anyone. Every Native and Metis Cultural centre should be hiring her to share her unique knowledge and revitalize this native art. Thank you Fred for sharing her.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting your comments.
ATTENTION SPAMMERS: Comments with links to other websites, will not be accepted.

A message for anonymous posters: Comments will be accepted provided they are thoughtful and articulate.

Reciprocating comments between posters will not be accepted. Sorry - I have no intention of giving readers the opportunity to engage in flame wars. It won't happen.

Fredericks-Artworks Blog, copying policy


The Canadian Copyright act, section 29 reports on fairdealing, that it is not an infringement to reproduce someone else's work for research, study, criticism, review or to report. Which pretty much sums up what this site is about. All content sources, be they artists, printed references, and website url's are respectfully identified on this site. http://http//www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/stat/rsc-1985-c-c-42/latest/rsc-1985-c-c-42.html

Mission Statement
A Portrait of the Visual Arts in Canada, is intended to celebrate the richness of Canada's visual arts, and to promote the arts in Canada.

Statement of Intent
I make every effort to credit the sources of information used in this blog and to obtain the permission and cooperation of all the works presented by living artists. I try, as much as possible to use works from public sources eg. national and provincial collections, of deceased artists. If for any reason, any artist disapproves of anything written about them or their work the artist is encouraged to request withdrawal of the content.