Monday, May 17, 2010

Ionic Crown, by Anne Hudec, Victoria, BC.



“Ionic Crown” on the cover of Splash 11, May 2010:
New Directions The Best of Watercolor by North Light Books.

What makes a painting paint itself? Why is it that some materialize seemingly effortlessly before an artists’ eyes, while others seem to fight their way to life? This is a question I am sure that many artists have pondered, as I have myself. Is it the artists’ mind-set of that moment? Or perhaps their life experiences and feelings that are evoked more strongly from a particular motif?

Ionic Crown came about with a deadline - self-imposed I might add – to produce three paintings for a Fine Art Show. I can’t say I am particularly fond of working under time pressure – I much prefer to paint by my own intuition and clock. However, this statue had really beckoned to me from the moment I had photographed her, and she magically manifested herself on my watercolour paper. Unlike other paintings, there seemed to be no decision-making in the process: which method to use, in which order, which colours to accentuate or downplay, which edges to leave hard or to soften. It was as if all the planning had already been decided for me. I felt that I was the holder of the brush, while it worked its own magic.

There is something particular about her that speaks to me, and not just the way the shadows caress her beautiful face. It is her attitude that casts her spell. I see her as a pillar of strength – the way I like to see women evolve after having overcome the challenges that they have faced. The evening light representative of the passage of time she has experienced, the cracks and chips the reminders of her struggles. Her eyes are closed, as if she does not look to the outside world for its approval. Everything that she needs she can find within herself, and therefore she appears empowered, confident, compassionate, and at peace with her evolution. It seems rather fitting that this particular statue is a caryatid – an architectural female support column.

Perhaps these feeling and thoughts that she evoked within me were the reason why she developed in such a magical way, which reminded me of the importance of painting what one finds inspirational.

I was absolutely thrilled when I was informed that Ionic Crown would be included amongst so many talented artists in the Splash 11: New Directions, Best of Watercolour book. I was overwhelmed when I was told she had been chosen for the front cover. And I know, when I eventually hold the book in my hands, I will see her quiet strength, and know the feelings she evoked that inspired her creation.

Anne Hudec

1 comment:

Thank you for posting your comments.
ATTENTION SPAMMERS: Comments with links to other websites, will not be accepted.

A message for anonymous posters: Comments will be accepted provided they are thoughtful and articulate.

Reciprocating comments between posters will not be accepted. Sorry - I have no intention of giving readers the opportunity to engage in flame wars. It won't happen.

Fredericks-Artworks Blog, copying policy


The Canadian Copyright act, section 29 reports on fairdealing, that it is not an infringement to reproduce someone else's work for research, study, criticism, review or to report. Which pretty much sums up what this site is about. All content sources, be they artists, printed references, and website url's are respectfully identified on this site. http://http//www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/stat/rsc-1985-c-c-42/latest/rsc-1985-c-c-42.html

Mission Statement
A Portrait of the Visual Arts in Canada, is intended to celebrate the richness of Canada's visual arts, and to promote the arts in Canada.

Statement of Intent
I make every effort to credit the sources of information used in this blog and to obtain the permission and cooperation of all the works presented by living artists. I try, as much as possible to use works from public sources eg. national and provincial collections, of deceased artists. If for any reason, any artist disapproves of anything written about them or their work the artist is encouraged to request withdrawal of the content.