Friday, September 10, 2010

Paul Duff - A Foremost Canadian Painter



Even though I was officially recognized by the National Gallery of Canada in August 1956, you won't find me in the popular anthologies of painters. In fact, I was once referred to as one of Canada's 'best kept secrets'.

It was Group of Seven artist A.Y.Jackson, who advised me to seek my validation as an artist abroad - Canada was slow to recognize good painters, he said. So, in 1952, I left for Rio De Janeiro, armed with my box of paints and brushes, a teacher's certificate, and $1,200. While abroad I was made an honourary citizen of Rio de Janeiro and I was invited to exhibit in Brazil's national gallery. My work was also placed in private and public collections in several other countries.

When I returned to Canada in 1981, I discovered rather dramatically that my career was unknown here. To complicate matters, I has settled into a community that viewed signed prints as art. My passion and duty was to paint, just as a poet creates poetry, a writer his novel, or a composer his music. I had to escape that market at all costs.

In 1988 my wife Leila and I fell in love with Ontario's Bruce Peninsula. We built a log home, set up a studio and tranformed a century old cottage into a gallery that has become popular with young artists. So much so, I felt obliged to write a book, which is now used by fine arts students at college level about how to remain true to your creative talent without starving to death. Its called, 'The Eternal Apprentice,' - an apt title I thought for a title penned by a Hamilton born painter living contentedly on the edge of paradise.


Source: Our Canada Magazine, pg. 56, April/May, 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting your comments.
ATTENTION SPAMMERS: Comments with links to other websites, will not be accepted.

A message for anonymous posters: Comments will be accepted provided they are thoughtful and articulate.

Reciprocating comments between posters will not be accepted. Sorry - I have no intention of giving readers the opportunity to engage in flame wars. It won't happen.

Fredericks-Artworks Blog, copying policy


The Canadian Copyright act, section 29 reports on fairdealing, that it is not an infringement to reproduce someone else's work for research, study, criticism, review or to report. Which pretty much sums up what this site is about. All content sources, be they artists, printed references, and website url's are respectfully identified on this site. http://http//www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/stat/rsc-1985-c-c-42/latest/rsc-1985-c-c-42.html

Mission Statement
A Portrait of the Visual Arts in Canada, is intended to celebrate the richness of Canada's visual arts, and to promote the arts in Canada.

Statement of Intent
I make every effort to credit the sources of information used in this blog and to obtain the permission and cooperation of all the works presented by living artists. I try, as much as possible to use works from public sources eg. national and provincial collections, of deceased artists. If for any reason, any artist disapproves of anything written about them or their work the artist is encouraged to request withdrawal of the content.